Where is the Sinixt təmxʷulaʔxʷ?
North of the Grand Bend on the Columbia River, to the height of the Monashee Range in the west, and east to the height of the Purcell Range. Sinixt təmxʷúlaʔxʷ was divided by the Canada-US border with 80% of Sinixt territory is in what is now known as South-eastern British Columbia, Canada. The Arrow Lakes Band of Sinixt were deemed “extinct for purposes of the Indian Act” in 1956. The other 20% of Sinixt təmxʷúlaʔxʷ is in what is now called Washington State of the USA. Sinixt are more commonly called “Lakes” in the US and are recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA, similar to Canada’s Indian Act). Lakes (Sinixt) are one of the twelves tribes of the Colville Reservation, established in 1872.
Support Autonomous Sinixt and educate yourself by learning about Sinixt territory and counter mapping. Maps available at Maa Press.